AARC is one of the largest and most experienced providers of LGBT health and mental health care, supported by a culturally sensitive team working to advance the care and treatment of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender people.
Primary Care: AARC’s Health Equity Clinic (HEC) provides a safe space for licensed medical staff to conduct intakes and medical assessments while offering treatment services for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community in San Antonio, which historically one of the most medically underserved populations in South Texas. AARC contracts with LGBT and LGBT-friendly physicians and clinicians who are culturally sensitive and representative of the communities served. In addition to primary medical care, AARC Health Equity Clinic staff offer comprehensive information, referral, PrEP, HIV care and patient navigation services for LGBT patients and consumers.
AARC will utilize its LGBT clinic for health services outreach and education to LGBT organizations and the community throughout San Antonio. AARC Health Equity Clinic services are offered with respect and compassion for the diverse community we represent and serve.
HIV Specialty Care: AARC’S Health Equity Clinic offers people living with HIV a wide range of support services, including leading-edge medical care. AARC’s wrap-around care model practices a holistic approach to treatment, helping clients manage all aspects of living with HIV, through counseling, nutritional advice, and transportation support.
Nutritional Services: AARC provides home-delivered meals (Meals on Wheels) to individuals who are on home hospice, home health or who have been recently released from the hospital as well as on-site meals for those with multiple medical and social service appointments. All nutritional services are coordinated through AARC’s registered dietitian.
Pharmacy services include:
- Private consultations with staff members who can answer your questions about medications, especially HIV-drug regimens and side effects
- Free, confidential delivery in San Antonio (some restrictions apply)
- Prescription refill assistance program
- On-site assistance in English and Spanish
If you’re a client of our health center, pharmacy staff will work closely with your physician, nurse, nutritionist, case manager, and/or mental health provider to help you achieve your health care goals. (Pharmacy hours and phone: Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM, 210.231.0383)
Behavioral Health: Mental Health Services are provided to individuals and families who are dealing with various life stressors. These services are conducted in a group or individual setting, and provided by Licensed Professional Counselors. All behavioral health programs are overseen by Howard Rogers, M.A., AARC’s Executive Director, also a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and by Dr. Robert Jimenez, AARC’s Medical Director, a psychiatrist with a history of working with individuals living with HIV.
- Spanish and bilingual services are available.
- The prescribing and monitoring of psychotropic medications to individuals with a diagnosed mental disorder and are provided by a licensed physician.
- The provision of prevention and treatment to address substance abuse problems (including alcohol, legal and illicit drugs) in an outpatient setting. Substance Abuse groups revolve around an evidence based approach to treating substance abuse and involve both group as well as individual support.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- United Health Care
If you are uninsured, we can help determine your eligibility for medical and drug assistance programs.