Volunteers of America (VOA) is a faith-based nonprofit organization founded in 1896 that provides affordable housing and other assistance services primarily to low-income people throughout the United States.
In addition to those in need of affordable housing, VOA assists veterans, low-income seniors, children and families, the homeless, those with intellectual disabilities, those recovering from addiction, and the formerly incarcerated.
We specialize in permanent, supportive housing options for at-risk groups - seniors, families facing poverty, individuals with mental and physical disabilities and individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities - who otherwise might have to turn to unsafe, blighted housing, or worse, the streets.
Click here for more information.
Our goal is to make it as easy as possible for your company to make a difference in the communities you-and we-call home. At Volunteers of America Texas, we work closely with our corporate partners to tailor philanthropic and volunteer opportunities to the interests and needs of each organization.
Below are a few ideas for how your company can help, and we can also create opportunities customized with your corporate goals or employees in mind.
- Help us create a positive environment for our programs by painting, landscaping or decorating at one of our centers.
- Hold an employee giving campaign at your place of business.
- Host a skills workshop to help individuals on their road to self-sufficiency. Examples include financial management, budgeting, resume writing, job interviewing skills, dressing for success, etc.
- Sponsor a program or center and align your brand with a beneficial community service through naming opportunities.
- Organize a company-wide holiday gift, winter coat or toiletry drive.
- Sort donations and organize our clothing closets.
- Help host or plan special events for those we serve and their families, including holiday parties, open houses, monthly birthday celebrations and more.
Volunteers of America Texas SA LIGHT is a 90-day inpatient residential treatment program serving women and women with children. Goals of the program for clients include living a substance free lifestyle, improving parenting skills, and reintegrating into society through stable housing and employment.
Client must be a female age 18 or older. Must meet criteria for Substance Use Disorder (SUD) being moderate to severe. Potential client must have a child under the age of 18. Two children up to the age of 12 may be brought to the program with the client. If potential client has no children, they must be 7 months pregnant or greater.
No fees for program participation.
Individual Volunteer Opportunities
Work with Clients:
- Volunteer at or donate supplies to a Brightening Birthdays celebration
- Assist an adult with a resume or job interview skills
- Provide support to adults with disabilities at our Life Enrichment Center in Houston
- Lend your support to women in incarceration who want to rebuild their lives and rejoin their families and communities, through the Resolana program in Dallas
Work Behind the Scenes
- Organize a winter coat drive or toiletry drive to benefit one of our programs
- Plan special events like holiday activities, silent or live auctions, open houses, BBQs and more
- Assemble toiletry kits
- Help with administrative tasks in our offices
Holiday Season Help
- Donate food to our holiday meals or gifts to our clients
- Help set up, clean up and serve
- Sing holiday carols, make Valentine’s Day cards, decorate
- Assist with gift wrapping
Skills-Based Volunteer Opportunities
Many of our clients need to develop their employment readiness, money management abilities and general life skills. Here are just a few ways you can help:
- Prepare clients for employment by assisting with resume and job interview skills
- Teach computer skills classes
- Provide financial coaching and money management classes
- Provide educational and career counseling
- Teach vocational training classes
- Teach nutrition and/or cooking classes
- Teach yoga and/or exercise classes to women in the Resolana program
How to Apply:
Volunteers of America Texas has long-term and short-term volunteer opportunities. To protect our clients’ rights and the sensitive nature of our programs, a volunteer application and a criminal background check are required.
For more information on volunteering, please contact Shawn Ewing at [email protected].