You make the world a better place.
Volunteers of all kinds are important to us. As a volunteer, we want you to participate in a way that is meaningful to YOU. We are dedicated to working closely with you to identify your ideal project plan, specific experience and "take away" plus scheduling days, times and places that are most convenient for you.
There are several ways to volunteer at Mission Road:
- You’re the Expert
What is your passion? Expertise? Joy? Volunteer your time to play your musical instrument; build a bird house; teach us about the sun and stars; bake a cake; care for animals; teach us dances from your ancestors and on and on. Volunteering is about YOU! We love it all!
- On-Campus Group Volunteers
Large volunteer groups are welcome! Activities can include working directly with clients on craft projects, reading, singing, playing sports and games. Got rhythm? Volunteer to dance with clients at our frequent carnivals and parties.
Volunteers may also choose to help with the care and maintenance of Mission Road facilities - painting, gardening, light repairs, hanging Christmas lights, even harvesting olives in our 250-tree orchard.
- Off-Campus Group Volunteers
We love to be out and about. Our clients love to visit museums, the theater, historic sites, see movies, go bowling, and even volunteer for others - visiting senior centers, the Food Bank and baking cookies at the Ronald McDonald House. Where can you take us?
We appreciate individual and corporate sponsors who may choose donate items such as tickets for community events, books, puzzles, crafts supplies, etc.. Monetary donations are appreciated to help cover transportation expenses, meals and other expenses for off campus experiences - including over-night vacations for our residents.
- Individual Volunteer
An individual may assist in on-campus programming; such as arts and crafts classes, music lessons, tutoring, field trips, birthday parties, fundraisers, holiday parties and much more.
- Shindig, Job Luncheon and Club Unicorn
Individuals can volunteer with Mission Road's client and fundraising events. Dance with our clients, serve popcorn or pizza or serve on our special fundraising committees including Underwriting and Table Sponsor recruitment, Auction Donation procurement, Decor, Guest Registration, etc.
Complete our online Volunteer Form found here.
Upon submission, a team member will contact you to help coordinate a volunteer activity that meets your expectations and provides your volunteers with a memorable and productive experience.
Questions? Contact [email protected] or call (210) 334-2455.
Mission Road Volunteer Protocol and Restrictions
- Mission Road does not offer volunteer opportunities for Court Ordered Community Service.
- As of 2022, staffing challenges prevent clinical internships and student internships at both our Southside and Unicorn Centers campuses. We are not accepting university, college, and/or nursing school intern partnerships.
- High Access and/or Individual Volunteers must complete our application, undergo a full background check (FBI and DPS), they must pay the non-refundable application fee of $87, and participate in an in-person interview. Acceptance is subject to approval and clearance at all junctures.
- All requests for both individual and group volunteer projects are reviewed by and subject to approval by the Mission Road Volunteer Council. Not all requests are granted.