Emergency management is a comprehensive system to respond to emergencies or disasters impacting our community. The mission of the City of San Antonio Office of Emergency Management (SAOEM) is to coordinate activities of the City departments responsible for continued operations during disasters, coordinate agreements for the use of resources, communicate with State and Federal agencies and provide education and training to citizens and municipal employees.
Emergency management has four phases.
Prevention: actions and interventions to avoid incidents that endanger lives and property.
Preparedness: activities such as planning, training, public education, and outreach to create awareness of potential dangers and increased readiness in our community.
Response: use of available resources to meet the needs of the community when disaster strikes. Depending on the severity of the disaster, this can include local, county, state, and federal resources, including fire and EMS services, public works, and law enforcement.
Recovery: the long-term support of restoring the community to pre-disaster conditions. This phase includes damage assessments to public and private property, as well as social services to assist citizens. The length of the recovery phase depends on the magnitude of the disaster.
by City of San Antonio (COSA) Office of Emergency Management
The STEARs (State of Texas Emergency Assistance Registry) program is a free registry for Texans of any age who need additional assistance during an emergency event due to a disability, functional and access need, or lack of transportation for evacuation.
STEAR registry information provides local emergency planners and responders with information about the needs of individuals in their community.
Registrants must re-register every January to ensure accurate and up-to-date information is available to emergency planners and responders.
All the information provided will be kept entirely confidential. Registering in STEAR does not guarantee specific service during an emergency.
- Click here to register online. (To set up an account, choose Public or Health Care Provider as appropriate.)
- Dial 2-1-1 or use your video phone relay options to contact 211 at 877-541-7905 (Texas Information Referral Network).
- Click here to download the Individual Registration Form. (Completed forms can be faxed to 866-557-1074 or emailed to [email protected].)
Who should register?
- People with Disabilities
- People with access and functional needs such as:
- People who have limited mobility
- People who have communication barriers
- People who require additional medical assistance during an emergency event
- People who require transportation assistance
- People who need personal care assistance
Be prepared for disaster. The Ready South Texas app is an all-hazards overview of disaster information to help you prepare, plan and respond to disasters in your area. Using the Ready South Texas app, you will be able to:
- Share your status with your selected contacts with the push of a button.
- Receive critical emergency alerts via push notification.
- Locate Bexar County’s emergency shelters.
- Display up-to-date evacuation route maps.
- Get the latest news and weather for the South Texas area.
- Create a personalized Emergency Preparedness Plan by answering five basic questions.
Click here to download the app.