Our mission is to restore dignity, hope, and trust to children traumatized by abuse and neglect.
As the only Children’s Advocacy Center in Bexar County, we provide expert care and specialized services to children and teenagers who have been traumatized by abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse.
ChildSafe offers a safe, child-friendly atmosphere where a talented team of mental health professionals, child protective services, and law enforcement agencies work together to coordinate strategies and care plans which are sensitive to the needs of each individual child and family.
Our clients receive an array of evidence-based, trauma-focused services, therapy, extended care, and individual case management to ensure that the journey toward healing is not overwhelming.
ChildSafe strives to create an environment that encourages our clients to feel as though they are part of a caring community of support.
Follow-up services are also offered until the child reaches adulthood. In short, ChildSafe endeavors to facilitate healing at every step of the way.
Therapy is a wonderful opportunity for children and teenagers with a history of trauma to feel normal again. ChildSafe provides counseling services to children traumatized by physical and sexual abuse, neglect, or witness to violence between the ages of 3-18. Siblings and non-offending caregivers may also be eligible for counseling services.
ChildSafe offers a number of different forms of counseling services geared toward healing a traumatized child and family, including:
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT)
- Child and Family Traumatic Stress Intervention (CFTSI)
- Adventure Therapy
- Group therapy
For a list of upcoming virtual trainings, please visit our Training Calendar.
ChildSafe builds informed, empowered communities through educational programs to adults, teenagers, children, community members, and partners, as well as education and healthcare professionals.
What can you do to help ChildSafe? Volunteers are the heart of non-profit agencies; they help ChildSafe carry out the mission of serving abused and neglected children in our community. Give the most important gift of all, your time.
- Direct Service with Children: Greeters and friendly faces help us provide a safe and welcoming environment for our kids - help them with play activities while they are waiting for a forensic interview or therapy session.
- Administrative Support: Assist staff by completing needed tasks or help prepare for an upcoming event.
- Garden Volunteer: Help us maintain our therapy garden and outside areas through various activities.
- Animal-Assisted Therapy: Registered therapy dogs and their handlers volunteer with children in our lobby.
Occasional and One-Time Events:
Opportunities vary as activities are scheduled by staff.
- Coordinate a Drive:
- Invite your friends and family to collect and donate new needed items for our Rainbow Room.
- Donate holiday gifts for Santa’s workshop, Easter Baskets, Thanksgiving baskets and other holidays.
- Back to School supplies are needed for our school supply store in August.
- December - volunteers at Santa's Shop to help with gift wrapping,
- August - Back to School Supply Drive or in March by distributing Cardboard Kids during distribution weekend.
- Raise awareness for ChildSafe and bring attention to child abuse by decorating a cardboard kid during our Cardboard Kids Campaign.
- Distribute Cardboard Kids at an area mall during distribution weekend.
Volunteers working directly with children must be over the age of 18, submit 2 written references and an application, successfully complete a criminal and child abuse background check, and attend training and orientation.